Fargo Public Schools wants to ensure that all students have access to meals during the school year regardless if they are in-person or distance learning. All meals are being provided at no cost for the remainder of the school year.
The Nutrition Services Department is providing a meal pick up service for students when they are distance learning, both in Level 3 - Hybrid Instruction and Virtual Academy. Breakfast and lunch can be ordered for each day of distance learning for a one-week period.
To place your order, click the button on the left and complete the linked form. If you need assistance, please contact the Nutrition Services office at 701-446-1152.
K12 Hybrid Learning
Bagged take-home meals are available in all school buildings at the end of the school day whenever the following day (including Mondays) is a distance learning day. These meals are available automatically and do not need to be ordered in advance.
Virtual Academy 1 & 2 meals will be distributed 1x per week. Meals must be ordered in advance using the Grab and Go Meal Order Form.
Students requiring modified menus due to medical needs should call Kyla Zach at 701.446.1153.
A breakfast and lunch meal is provided to all students daily at no cost due to the USDA’s extension of emergency feeding programs as the country continues to recover from the COVID-19 pandemic. Free meals will be provided for the remainder of the 2020-21 school year. Additional items served, such as second servings and a la carte items, are not included with the free meal program and funds will be required to make these purchases. When the program for free meals expires, the following prices will go into effect.
*Students enrolled at Madison, Jefferson and Ed Clapp Elementary will receive free meals under the Community Eligibility Program. For information regarding the Free & Reduced Price Meal Program, visit https://www.fargo.k12.nd.us/Page/189. Information on student lunch accounts can be found in the PowerSchool parent portal under SchoolPay.
Meal Pick-up Process
Meals for students during distance learning may be picked up by the student or a parent/guardian. Further instructions will be emailed and/or posted at the pickup location. The student receiving the meal will be recorded by staff at the time of pickup.
Meals will be charged according to the student’s eligibility status of the Free & Reduced Meal Program. Funds must be available in the student’s lunch account at the time of order.
Nutrition Services Safety Precautions
School meals are essential to student health and well-being and ensure that students have the nutrition they need throughout the day to learn. Fargo Public Schools will provide meals to students learning both in-person and remotely following the USDA’s school breakfast and lunch programs. The plan for meal service is flexible and will be modified in response to updates in recommendations and regulations.
All meals provided, regardless of the location, will be at a cost determined by the student’s eligibility for the Free and Reduced Price Meal Program. Household’s may apply for price reductions online at EZMealApp.com
The following additional precautions have been identified for Fargo Public Schools' Level 3 - Hybrid Instruction:
In-Person Meal Precautions
- All employees shall wear face masks upon entering the facility, when students are present, and when social distancing is not possible.
- Increased frequency of cleaning and sanitizing of common touch areas and eating areas.
- Hand washing and sanitizer will be available to students and staff prior to meal service.
- Meal schedules will be staggered.
- Cafeterias and other spaces used for eating will be limited in occupancy capacity with tables placed and seats marked to ensure social distancing of adults and students.
- Some classes will eat lunch in their classrooms.
- Breakfast will be served grab and go style and eaten in classrooms.
- Menu choices will be limited. Self-service stations, such as salad bars, will not be available. A la carte options will be minimal or unavailable.
- Signage and physical barriers will be used in the cafeteria to maintain physical distancing, one-way traffic, and reduce common touch areas.
- Keypads will be used for students to enter their lunch account number only when sanitizing between each use is feasible. Students will say their number to the cashier or paper rosters will be utilized as alternative methods of recording meals.
- Safety measures will be taken for students and teachers with food allergies. Any staff overseeing students eating will be trained in food allergen safety and prevention of cross-contact with potential allergens. Controls to reduce the risk of cross-contact with food allergens will be taken including proper handwashing with soap and water after food allergen contact, proper cleaning, and sanitation of surfaces after food allergen contact, along with strict enforcement of no sharing food allowed.
- Reimbursable school breakfasts and lunches will be offered with no or minimal a la carte options. Students will be required to take the full breakfast and lunch meal when eating. Students may purchase a second entree at the a la carte price.
- Using the online lunch account is strongly recommended to reduce hand to hand transactions at the registers. When payment must be made using cash or check, any change due will be deposited into the lunch account. The change in bills and cash will not be handed back to the student.
Remote and Distance Learning Meal Precautions
- Bagged meals are available for days students are remote learning. Meals will be distributed utilizing physical distancing. Options will be communicated to households weekly.
- Meals will consist of frozen, refrigerated, and shelf-stable foods. Meals will be stored at proper temperatures and will not exceed 4 hours out of proper temperature during the distribution process.
- Proper storage and preparation instructions will be provided for bagged meals.