About AP Exams
The Advanced Placement Program, a part of College Board, encourages high schools to offer challenging college-level work to able students. The Advanced Placement exam scores provide an opportunity for high school students to earn college credit at participating colleges.
Tests are scored by College Board and results are sent to the college(s) designated by the student. Colleges determine how much credit or advanced standing will be awarded to each student. Students are advised to research the AP policies of the colleges/universities they are interested in attending.
The cost of exams for the 2022-23 school year will be $102. If a student qualifies for Free or Reduced Meals, assistance is available.
The ND Department of Public Instruction has provided some additional incentives/fee reductions for exams in STEM areas in the past years. If your student qualifies for any of these reductions, you will be reimbursed for this part of the exam fees after the exam is taken.
AP Registration Information
Taking the Advanced Placement exams is an important part of all AP courses. South High School encourages all students to take AP exams for the AP classes that they have taken. Scoring well on an AP exam can often earn students college credit for their high school class, saving a significant amount on tuition.
For the 2023 AP exams, students at South High School will be registering online. Online Exam registration will begin on Friday, August 26, 2022 at 8:35 am and end on Friday, November 11, 2022 at 4:00 PM (for semester 1 and year-long classes) and end on Friday, March 10, 2023 at 4:00 pm (for semester 2 classes). The AP exam registration process is two steps, but both can be completed in one sitting when the student and parent/guardian do this together. Even if you do not plan to take the AP exam, you need to complete both steps to access the College Board’s AP resources. If you are taking a class for dual credit, you do NOT need to take the AP exam, but DO need to complete the dual credit enrollment paperwork. Only exams paid for by the deadlines listed below will be ordered. Both steps must be completed in order to have AP exams ordered:
Step 1: Begin the process by registering at www.TotalRegistration.net/AP/350565 . Here you will indicate both the AP courses you are taking this year and the exams you wish to take. You will receive your join codes and directions to complete the second required step. Any exam fees will be paid online so be sure to have a debit card or credit card available before beginning registration. Paying online is a great way to make sure that payment has been made while avoiding mailing payment.
Step 2: To complete the second step of the exam ordering process, you must use the join codes provided on your confirmation page or provided to you by your AP teacher to enroll in your AP courses with the College Board. The join codes are also listed on this page. You can join all AP courses you plan to take this year at the same time to avoid having to do this on multiple occasions. This is done at https://myap.collegeboard.org/login . You will login with your existing CollegeBoard student account (if you have previously taken AP, PSAT, or SAT exams) or you will create a new College Board student account. If you have previously taken exams, use the same account and do NOT create a new account to assure that your exam scores are linked each year.
This year each AP exam costs $102.00. Students who receive free or reduced lunch are eligible for testing at a reduced price of $50.00 per test. The ND Department of Public Instruction has provided some additional incentives/fee reductions for exams in STEM areas in the past years. If your student qualifies for any of these reductions, you will be reimbursed for this part of the exam fees after the exam is taken.
Here are the important dates for the registration process:
- Friday, August 26, 2022 at 8:35 AM - Registration Begins
- Friday, November 11, 2022 at 4:00 PM – Registration closes for all semester 1 and year-long AP courses.
- Tuesday, November 15, 2022 at 8:00 AM - Registrations that have not been paid for will be cancelled and exams will not be ordered.
- Tuesday, November 15, 2022 at 8:01 am - You may still register for semester 1 and year-long AP tests however, registrations and payments after this date will incur a $40 late fee per exam.
- Friday, March 10, 2023 at 4:00 PM - Registration closes for all semester 2 AP courses. (AP Government and AP Computer Science)
- Wednesday, March 15, 2023 at 8:01 AM - Registrations and payments after this date will incur a $40 late fee per exam. This is for those classes that are offered semester 2 only.
- Refund dates: If you cancel an exam prior to midnight Monday, November 14, 2022 you are able to receive a full refund. At any date after this, if you cancel the exam, you will be refunded the cost of the exam minus a $40 cancellation fee.
Please contact Mrs Vanessa Boehm, firstname.lastname@example.org , if you would like to register for an exam not listed or have any questions.